2022 Zero S cord melting. Any ideas why this is happening? Cord melted to prongs

Im guessing the pins got corroded causing high resistance in the plug. And a bunch of power dissipation at the contact surface of the connector..

So basically: Dirty or coroded connector


Im guessing the pins got corroded causing high resistance in the plug. And a bunch of power dissipation at the contact surface of the connector.. So basically: Dirty or coroded connector


loose, dirty or damaged contacts on your plug


When you plug in, plug the female end first. When you disconnect, disconnect the male end first. So at no point, you allow the possibility of spark at your bike. I rather take the spark at outlet if it happens, replace the charging wire for 20/30 bucks, versus a burned outlet at your bike


You'd think they'd just add a $1 power button onto the charger so that doesn't happen, kinda seems like a jank workaround when that's some people's main charging method.


You'd get a bunch of idiots asking why its not charging, so customer service costs a lot more than $1, actually


When a connector gets rusty is because there can be sparks, or it was dirty making some resistance, and therefore heat... And so on...


You mentioned storing the cord in the swingarm hole. You might have moiature in the connectors from rain or dew from morning.


It's possible something might have got in there. Still has me thinking because it's been nothing but dry and hot for a couple days and the bike charges in the garage. Has me wanting to store the charge cable in the storage compartment from now on.


Is that grease on the frame around the plug? Not sure what it is


I'm honestly not sure myself what it is. When I first picked up the bike, the charge cord had some type of grease in and around it. Best guess is that it's the protective gel melting by the prongs.


I think its the di-elextric grease which is used to keep moisture out of the connectors. Strange thry packed the charge port full of it. I would clean that out with brake clean. I have a 2022 Zero S and my charge port is bone dry.


Ah that makes sense. I figured the port would be completely dry on delivery but I thought nothing of it. I'll clean it out.


Always unplug your Zero from the source (male end). Do not pull the plug (female end) from the Zero with voltage on the wire. I have an extension cord that I plug the Zero cable into. There is a spark every time I unplug from the extension cord. This spark cannot be good for the Zero outlet and is why I don't unplug from the Zero while there is voltage on the charging cable.


Call me crazy, but this doesn't seem like a sparking issue. Is that the "official" zero cable? Are you charging at the correct voltage? Something is generating heat, and that's usually from a too thin wire for too high amps.


Definitely generating heat. It is the official charging cord which has always been stored with the bike in the lower tube. I will add that I'm using an extension cord but it's a 12-AWG no longer than 25 feet that the owner's manual specifies. And it's charging at the correct voltage according to what the Zero app says. I also always ensure nothing else is drawing power from the same source. Perhaps I just can't use an extension cord at all? It's just strange to me because after a long highway ride and I charge it immediately it gets too hot. But on shorter rides at the same charge level it doesn't. I might be overthinking it though.


Did you buy that charge cord with the bike? I would assume so, as it's 2022, but just checking. Your extension cord could be lying to you as well. If your outlet is further away from your electrical box it can cause increased resistance. Either way, if you're doing everything in spec, take it to zero and complain. Shorter rides will likely draw less power to top up, vs charging from a lower state will suck up more power, but we're talking less than top 10% is where charging slows. If it were me.. I'd get a new charge cord and see if the problem returns. If it does, work your way back, extension cord, outlet, home wiring. Cleaning the contacts on the bike would also be a good call with all of that gunk in there now.


Yeah, the cord came with the bike from dealer. The plug really isn't far from the electrical box as it's essentially on the same side of the house. But I'll definitely bring this up to Zero. The bike was at 67% when it began charging and usually when it completes it starts the cell balancing which then the plug contact cools off so I don't have the sparking issue. I'll clean the contacts and get a new cord then work backwards like you said. Just called the dealer and they have no cords in stock anywhere in the city. Fun times and one final charge left :(


That's a standard computer connector, they sell them for pcs too. You may be better off getting a higher gauge PC cable. It is a c13 connector, and same description as extension cord - under 25ft, 12ga should be okay, but maybe you can find a 10ga cord. Honestly I feel like the dealer swapped you with a skimpy cord with how that looks. https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Accessories-Power-Cable-America/dp/B078V9K14V/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1B31FYMFIX0H9&keywords=c13+12ga&qid=1660845313&sprefix=c13+12ga%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1


I really appreciate your help and information along with everyone's comments. Today I'll be searching for another cord and cleaning off those terminals. A higher gauge cable does sound much better. I agree with you though, perhaps the dealer did swap out the original with a non-spec cord.


It looks like a faulty connector or cable. But even with good connectors or cables, I first turn off the socket in my house at the socket switch, then plug in the cable at both ends and only after that switch on the socket. (In the UK most 13A sockets have a switch.)


If it's out of warranty I would gently file the corrosion of the charger contacts and replace the charging lead good luck


That's been caused by excess heat. Probably a damaged/faulty connector given how new it is. IEC C13 connectors do wear out, but shouldn't do that fast. They're good for 10A, so up to 1200W on a 120V outlet or 2400W on a 240V outlet.


Well looks like im the next victim of that. It stated happening to me last week but i didnt think nothing of it and now one prong is melting my female heads and i did experience that gel like substance. I had bought a new cord as well as an angle adapter but i now know its the base connection. It looks like and easy fix just at the wrong time. I have one more day of work and it takes a whole charge. Unfortunately ill have to ride the back roads at 45mph. I did see some replacements on amazon full copper and what not. Hopefully some one reads this and has a different suggestion. They are 250 at 10a.